Friday, May 15, 2020

Pandemic, lock down and etc(=Uncertainty)

While having a conversation with family and friends over video call, I could sense a great deal of anxiety in their voices. I am the only Biologist, (not just by training, but also with a functional career) across most of my family and friends circles; and hence I have been getting this question a lot lately, What happens now? When will there be a medicine? When will there be a vaccine? I am truly amazed at overload of information, suddenly all of them have on different aspects of the virus world and the clinical trials; of course thanks to social media/news channels! This is when I started thinking, there has been pandemics in past; what is it that's making this one so different? And that's when it stuck me, over days of thinking, we have almost nothing to look forward to!!.... It is as if all of a sudden that we were informed that there's this virus, which follows respiratory tract path, and is deadly in nature, we need to follow social distancing to prevent an outbreak! Would we still have been this anxious if we were not under this lockdown to maintain the social distancing?  Fast life, career goals, appraisals, and promotions at work, fancy cooking for house parties, potluck dinners, gossiping for adults; and,  swimming, skating, riding,  Tai-Kwan-Do, karate, abacus, and other tuition/classes; for kids... everything just came to a halt all of a sudden.....eh!! Did I miss something from the list? (May be, I did, but these were the toppers). Suddenly we went from having an extremely tight schedule to almost no schedule; for we don't need to pack lunch for our respective spouses, kids; they all are engaged on different screens for a regular period of the day, but at the same time, they can work in their PJs, eat when they want. So, what is so different? I attribute my (not so Scientific) opinion to Uncertainty!! For our smoothly paced lives, where we always knew if we invested 10k a month for next 20 years, we'll get .........ks at the retirement, suddenly market fell and has shown that we might not get those many zeros; kids might not get admission letters to the "ever-desired/dreamed" places; we might not be able to visit our dream destinations we planned for our milestone birthdays this or even next year; some of my friends are stuck in India, and they are wondering when would they get a chance to go back to the land of opportunities and vice-versa. 
Oh, no no, no!! I don't plan on throwing those wise advises at you for overcoming the issues!! Rather, I just tried to understand why all of us are so much scared of uncertainty? I do remember a clear life path that I carved mentally for myself only after I turned sixteen, it did have plans A/B/C (Of-course that also had uncertainty factored in); but until I turned sixteen, I took everything as it came to me!! Uncertainty was a huge fun for me! I used to like surprises and instant changes! Until then I was uncertain on what would be the outcome, that included doing/not doing assignments; getting notes and punishments from school and parents; girlfriends; guy-friends; crushes and everything else!! We (in those times) didn't really worry about what will be the long term effect! Now, I am worried!! Is uncertainty (tagged with worries) a feeling; and come only with age? I worry about my investments, I worry about my family, in different parts of the world; I worry about people stuck in different places not being able to go home, I worry about parents worried for kids, I worry about people who don't have home and are uncertain if they'll get food tomorrow! In short, I worry too much!!
To sum up; this pandemic has brought us lot of uncertainty and lock down has given us huge windows of time to think about uncertainty (as apparent from my usual vague blog). Having an idea how small Coronavirus is in size bringing this great deal of uncertainty also worries me! I feel uncertain; do you feel too?

8 comments:

  1. VeryAVery wellhwell saidwsaid Meghana.
    We forget that life is meant to be uncertain however well planned we could be. This time has made us realise that we need to value relationship and small things that brings joy & happiness in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well expressed! Being Mindful all the time is the only way to win this battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Well, being mindful in these times is the harder task, for this much long time. Guess everyone is trying not to be at the edge!

      Delete
  3. Good piece of expression. Indeed uncertainty laughs at us 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yes, lately I often remember the proverb once someone told me at a party "if you want to make Gods laugh, tell them about your plans"

      Delete