Wednesday, July 4, 2012

memories in July


Back in 2003, I was half way through my MSc Biochem program and I joined National Institute of Virology, Pune as a summer trainee. My training lasted from May 15- June 30th and as it was approaching finish line, I started feeling very homesick. Although I was enjoying my super comfortable life at my uncle's place in Pune, there was something making me withdraw my attention and I felt home is calling me!! After June 30th, I stayed in Pune for another day and got back to Indore, my hometown. 
For a long period of time, I recognized July as the beginning of academic year, smells of crisp paper of new notebooks and text books, new school uniforms and extended assembly instructions in school times. Shilpi who's my almost best friend from school times would have us over for her birthday celebrations every July 4th.   
Year of 2003 was little different though. In June last week when I was still in Pune, I knew my aunt is sick and suffering with hepatitis and it was misdiagnosed. My uncle from Pune also visited her for a day and assured me that she's fine. I learned within 30 mins of homecoming that she has been suffering with breast cancer and it was in its last stages. The incorrect diagnosis part of disease, I am not talking about since its not too rare of a thing to happen. 
I visited hospital and burst out into tears...my aunt who was probably first one to love me most after my parents, was dying, not slowly though. She never had a daughter and she considered me her daughter, she cared for me just like my mother sometimes more than her. Still remember when I had menses for first time she was so concerned and kept instructing my mom over phone, she would call me after my final exams for each subject and make sure that I wrote it well, I am not watching too much of TV, eating well and etc. Little wonder, her only son made it to IIM and now works for a reputable company as (youngest) consulting member on board of directors of company.
So, I was not too enthusiastic to celebrate Shilpi's birthday this year, so she invited me over for a simple lunch and I agreed to that. We had lunch and we chatted for a long time which is usual part of hang outs with her. The worst part of such hang outs was we would spend more time on gate-meetings than inside (only people who know what gate meetings are would know how it works, please excuse me for this one!)
While I was still engrossed into gate-meeting with Shilpi, I got a phone call from hospital and learned that aunt is serious and I rushed to hospital. She died on same night and thereafter July is just Shilpi's Birthday and aunt's death; associated with each other in a sad way. 
Why do I need to write this and share it with all of you? Because they say sharing sorrows divides them......May her soul rest in peace!

1 comment: